Assessment. The word alone can be enough to make your palms sweat. And no wonder, those next 30 minutes could make or break your career.
It’s normal to be nervous and we don’t want your assessment anxiety to prevent you from bringing your ‘A’ game.
Here’s our guide to acing your assessment…
- Ensure you receive email confirmation of your booking – if you don’t… please contact us.
- Read the assessment guidelines you’re emailed THOROUGHLY! They’re there for a reason, and this way you won’t get caught out.
- Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse – this is your time to shine, so make sure you’re prepared and can perform without lyrics or lead sheets.
- Make sure your guitar or bass is in tune!
- Relax! Although you might feel under pressure, your assessor is as keen for you to do well as you are.
- Understand that the assessments cover all courses (both degrees and diplomas) within one discipline, and be prepared that you may not be recommended for the course you initially applied for.
- Treat your assessment as a performance – there may be no audience, but give it the same energy and passion as you would if there was one in front of you.
- Forget to read the guidelines!
- Cancel your assessment at the last minute or leave your preparation until just before your appointment.
- Sing in a key that doesn’t sit quite right within your vocal range (Vocals, Songwriting) – instead, change the arrangement accordingly or use another backing track.
- Forget to practise your techniques exercises, as per the guidelines.
- Assume that a recommendation means you have a definite place on the course. An official offer will be sent by the Admissions Team, which is often subject to meeting our academic requirements.
Ready to take the plunge?
Whether you’ve already applied or are just looking at your options, you can book your assessment now. You can even audition before applying to BIMM and assessing early is advised as it’s a chance to find out more about our courses. Call our Admissions Team on 08442 646 666 to secure your slot.
Don’t forget that our Admissions Team are always available to answer any more questions you might have. Just call 08442 646 666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck! We know you’ll give it your all… and we can’t wait to see what you’re made of!