Visa Requirements

The following visas, permits and registrations need to be considered for students arriving from:

EU / EAA / Switzerland

If you come from one of the countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) or European Union (EU) you should only need a valid passport to enter the UK, Ireland or Germany and commence your studies at BIMM.

The countries of the EU are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market – this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

All other countries

For students from all other countries, check the following Federal Government link on visa requirements. This provides guidance by country on the requisite visa requirements and also resident permit requirements.

If a visa is required, contact your local German Consulate/Embassy – a full list is available here.

Please ensure that you have been awarded your study VISA before travelling to Berlin to begin the course. Students cannot under any circumstances start at BIMM using a tourist VISA, even if the decision on your study VISA is pending. If your application is unsuccessful, please let us know and we will investigate the situation for you.

Further Information

If you’re still unsure on your visa or resident permit requirements, please contact the BIMM Berlin team for further assistance: